Synopsis/Appraisal Final Paper Overview and Instructions
Purpose: This activity is a culmination of all activities and concepts covered in this class. You will summarize and appraise a quantitative study to determine its potential usefulness to inform nursing practice. As part of this analysis, you will determine the rigor of the investigation and appraise credibility. You can do this by answering some key questions about the integrity with which they collected and analyzed data and employed techniques to reduce bias.
Assessment: The final paper is worth 157 points and represents 25% of the final course grade. Graded according to the rubric at the bottom, right hand section of this Brightspace page.
- Research the importance of the topic and write an introduction that includes these main points:
- Obtain relevant background information from a credible source other than the article
- Explain why the topic is important for researchers to explore
- Write a study synopsis that includes these main points:
- what known and not known about the topic and what gap in knowledge this study intends to fill
- research design and setting
- sampling method
- number of subjects
- inclusion/exclusion criteria
- attrition, loss to follow up, or response rate (if any)
- important characteristics of the sample
- how the study was conducted
- explain how the data was collected
- include measurement instruments and what they measured
- if the study involves an intervention, how the intervention was carried out
- Appraise the article in narrative format by answering the following questions.
- Was the sampling method appropriate for this study? Why or why not?
- If inclusion and exclusion criteria were noted in the report, did the criteria control for extraneous variables? Why or why not?
- Were the measurement instruments reliable and valid? Why or why not?
- If the study was experimental, was the intervention performed consistently? Why or why not?
- Were the conclusions of the study supported by the results? Why or why not?
- Consider study limitations when appraising conclusions with respect to results
- State your analysis of the nursing implications based on the findings of the study.
- Take statistical significance into account.
- DO NOT use implications to nursing from the article; provide your own analysis.
- Complete the APA Checklist and TutorMe session. See the Writing Support content tab for documents and instructions.
- Submit your article in pdf format and your appraisal and synopsis in Word format with the following filenames.
- Lastname article
- Lastname paper
- Lastname checklist
- Lastname tutorme chat