The Multidisciplinary Team and Parental Participation in the Assessment Process
This assignment assesses your ability to investigate how participants of the Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) contribute to the development of the Individualized Education Program. This assessment also supports your achievement of the Course Learning Outcomes 2 and 3 and the MASE Program Learning Outcomes 5 and 8.
Using support from the required readings, the Instructor Guidance, supplemental information derived from the discussions and outside sources, and information from the scenario described below you will write a three page journal reflecting on various aspects of your journey so far.
Scenario: You have come to the point in the process where Manuel’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) is about to be created assuming he meets the federal eligibility criteria. As a result Manuel may have the opportunity to receive individualized help. The Multidisciplinary Team is going to become involved and each member will contribute his or her unique perspectives and observations. Although Manuel’s mother and father support the recommendations for additional services, they have also expressed feeling mixed emotions about the process and the contributions of the multidisciplinary team in the development of the IEP. As the special educator working closely with Manuel in the classroom and with Mr. Franklin, and as a reflective practitioner, you are writing in your journal about this next step in the process. You have found that the writing helps to clarify possible issues and that you often feel confident about your next steps after writing in your reflective journal.
Use the instructions below for the content and written communication expectations. Before submission, review your assignment using the Grading Rubric to ensure it meets the expectations for distinguished performance. If you have questions about the assignment or the rubric, please contact your instructor using the “Ask Your Instructor” discussion before the due date.
Write a reflective journal to include the following elements.
- Your feelings as you have come to the point in the journey where Manuel’s IEP is about to be created and he will receive individualized help.
- Your thoughts about how each participant contributing to the IEP will help to make this a positive and strong experience for Manuel and his parents.
- Your plan for ensuring that Manuel and his parents continue to play a key role in the process. Include at least four specific suggestions for their participation.
- Your strategy for talking to Manuel about his need to services. Describe how you will frame the conversation so that he does not feel “dumb.”
- Syntax and Mechanics: Exhibit meticulous use of grammar, spelling, organization, and usage throughout your submission.
- Organization: Use the above listed guidelines for explicit sections/headings within your paper.
- Source Requirement: Reference at least 3 scholarly sources including the course text in order to provide compelling evidence to support your ideas.
- Page Requirement: 3 pages not including the title and references pages.
- Additional Page Requirement: Your submission must include a title and reference page.
- APA format: All in text citations, page format and references must be written in APA 6th edition format.