By now, you should have observed a court proceeding for a criminal case.
In this module, you will submit a paper summarizing the court proceeding you observed and other relevant information. Your Module 03 Course Project should include the following information:
- Date, time, city, state, name of courthouse, of court proceeding
- What kind of court proceeding did you observe?
- Trial, hearing, plea bargain, sentencing hearing?
- If you watched recorded content, you must be sure to explain the source (You Tube, etc.)
- What was the defendant’s name?
- Name of all participants (judge, prosecutor, defense attorney, any witnesses)
- What is the crime/specific criminal law that the defendant allegedly violated? (This will be important for the next part of the assignment.)
- What individuals did you observe in the court proceeding? (prosecutor, judge, etc.)
- What was the role of each individual you observed?
- How were the defendant’s constitutional rights protected during the proceeding?
- Defendant’s right to notice of charges
- Right to counsel (Sixth Amendment)
- Privilege against self-incrimination (Fifth Amendment)
- Right to confront witnesses (Sixth Amendment)
- Right to present evidence (Sixth Amendment)
- Right to a jury trial (Sixth Amendment)
- Exclusion of illegally obtained evidence (Fourth Amendment)
- What was the outcome of the proceeding? (guilty plea, set for trial, conviction, sentence)
- Student’s reflection and overall thoughts about the proceeding.
- Was it more/less formal than you expected?
- What student learned from the experience
- How experience helped student learn more about criminal law and procedure
Be sure your paper includes all information asked for in the assignment.